Writing my first draft of a thriller story.. Realized that I HATE one of my secondary characters

Julie

Re: Writing my first draft of a thriller story.. Realized that I HATE one of my secondary characters

Post by Julie »

That's part of being a writer. I had that issue with a story I was writing. My original MC turned out to be a really mean guy so I switched my MC to the woman who thought she loved him and it worked out great. Created a lot of tension and conflict. I eventually got rid of him, and she moved on and found a guy who really loved her. It wasn't my original plans for the story but it worked out better and one novel has now become a series. It always fascinates me how stories take on a life of there own. I feel like I'm just the person who has been chosen to write my characters stories. I love that about writing! I love to see how the story changes and evolves and what the story ends up being.
Jeremy

Re: Writing my first draft of a thriller story.. Realized that I HATE one of my secondary characters

Post by Jeremy »

Maybe she's better off dead.

No, really. Would the story be better if she died suddenly? How would the other characters react? Would it move the plot forward? It could be worth a try, and maybe feel strangely satisfying, too.
Jan

Post by Jan »

Sometimes, it feels like a burden has been lifted off your shoulders when you "kill off" one of your "children" - the character that you created. When you feel better afterwards, you know you did the right thing,
Mike

Post by Mike »

If she does nothing to move the story forward delete her.

I've adapted novels into screenplays and sometimes have to merge two characters into one, or delete one, or more, completely to reduce the story length... all part of the job of a writer!
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

Probably a good call. In the past, I've been able to keep the "role," but fill in with a different, pre-existing character that I preferred and wanted to give more "screen time."
Ailie

Post by Ailie »

I hated my main male love interest, he wasn't even an aspect of the novel until recently until I decided...oh what if my female lead had a boyfriend when she was a teenager. He seemed so basic at the beginning and he was only going to be a small part of the novel and never mentioned again until I've changed a lot about him. Now I wish he was real
Will

Post by Will »

Erase her. If she has nothing to do with the story just stop writing her entirely and leave an edit note to delete or rewrite all her scenes prior to this. If you want to keep some stuff, replace her with a character who matters to the story.
Matt

Post by Matt »

It will make the book better! (Fellow thriller writer here) trim the character OUT, start over and do not look back. It’s all part of the process and you’ve realized something GOOD! (If painful). But shake it off, congratulate your instincts and start over.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:43 pm.