Writing my first draft of a thriller story.. Realized that I HATE one of my secondary characters

Writing my first draft of a thriller story.. Realized that I HATE one of my secondary characters

Post by Guest »

She doesn't have a good story, & she's really not vital to the story. In fact, writing this character fills me with dread. So much so that I haven't even been working on the novel much.

I have to start over without this character, please send motivation.
Caron

Re: Writing my first draft of a thriller story.. Realized that I HATE one of my secondary characters

Post by Caron »

Interview her, or fill in a character profile. What's her favourite colour? Favourite food? What does she do on her days off? What was her childhood like? Did she or does she have pets? What are her hobbies? What words does she love and hate? What's her lucky number? The aim is not to include this in the story, but to get to know her better.
Ethan

Re: Writing my first draft of a thriller story.. Realized that I HATE one of my secondary characters

Post by Ethan »

Wouldn’t it feel better to write her out of the story- a potential murder victim, or something? It is not like you would have to keep any of it in the final work, but that might ensure she never ever comes back (unless this is some sort of zombie thriller, then there is no hope)
Kat

Post by Kat »

If she's not vital to the story then cutting sounds like a good idea.

My advice would be not to start over, but continue as if you've already edited her out of the story so far. You're going to have to edit the whole 1st draft anyway, may as well save yourself some time and do it then. That way you won't lose your momentum in pushing out the first draft.
Sharon

Post by Sharon »

Maybe she’s not meant to be liked. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Brenda

Post by Brenda »

Interesting dilemma. As we often have characters in our lives that we don't want there. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just write them out of our life stories? I say leave her in there and develop her backstory more than you have. Good or bad, there's already sone history with her. Just my opinion.
Megan

Post by Megan »

Um it's a thriller. Have her become a victim or if you think you may need her make her a weaselly chicken and disappear never to be seen again. Then it become was she a victim or not ..
Susan

Post by Susan »

I once read a novel about a woman with earl onset Alzheimers. The character was a bitch, was a nasty person before and after her illness. All through the book I kept thinking someone should just knock her off. In the end she goes out in a canoe and ends her life. I actually cheered.Lordy. Despised her. But if an unlikable character is secondary, it adds balance to a story. If she gets too obnoxious, you have "THE POWER" to knock her off.
Elianna

Post by Elianna »

I had the same thing. I had many drafts and version to my story and a character that I loved at first, simply did not have a role after one part of the story. And that one part of the story was such a minor detail that it could easily be replaced with another character that had more depth and meaning to the plot. So I had to cut this character out.
Dwayne

Post by Dwayne »

I’ve had this dilemma before. I eventually cut the character after determining that he wasn’t that relevant and did nothing to move the plot forward. Lesson learned: Don’t waste creative energy on characters you’re forcing to be in your story.

Best of Luck.