I have a spare room, only used when my Granddaughter comes to stay every other weekend

This board has been created to share any money saving ideas, tips and hints. Please contribute your thoughts so everybody can economise on their budgets.. This is NOT a selling site.

Post by Guest »

It's bone dry and never has any condensation on the windows. I leave the door open during the day and close at night. There is heat when my Granddaughter is here.

Would I need to heat it when she is not here?

Don't want to waste electric but also don't want any problems.
Jemma

Post by Jemma »

I wouldn't turn off heat in that room but turn radiator right down so a little heat is in there. We recently tried the turn radiators off in not used rooms and found the house was colder and took longer to heat up. Even with doors closed.
Larissa

Post by Larissa »

I wouldn't bother - I don't have radiator on in spare room, there again I leave the door open all the time so rest of heat in house gets to it a bit.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Where possible move things slightly away from the walls so that air goes all the way round and turn radiators down to lowest setting. That way it's still getting heated lightly but not excessively.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

My Son hated a warm bedroom. Never put the radiator on, always had the small window on the catch. Door closed. Haven’t had a problem with damp in over 12 years.
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

When I was at uni, my mum turned the radiator off in my room and didn’t heat it for about a month. When I came home there were mushrooms growing through the carpet 🤣🤣🤣 we had to rip it up and get laminate 🤣 so I’d heat it occasionally
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

Check behind furniture and keep an eye on any clothes/ soft furnishings etc but if no problem then no need to do anything differently.