Is that acceptable and healthy?

A community of members sharing pet health advice. Get your pet-related health questions answered fast! Share, Give & Receive Advice.

Post by Guest »

I need some advice please. Our cat Izzy has ‘happily’ been on dried food for 11 years, a certain amount each day, she was a biggish cat but not fat. Although vet said not to let her weight go up any more!

Then I learned from the cat man Jackson Galaxy that the worse wet food was better than the best dry food. So, we introduced wet food gradually.

We tried a few different brands and went through Izzy just licking the gravy and sometimes eating a bit of meat to finding a brand she would mostly eat and I found that squeezing in some Webbox Lick-e-Lix encouraged her to eat more.

Well, Izzy lost weight and is now more average cat size I’d say so that is a bonus BUT on wet food her poo is like a loose splat pile, not formed at all. It’s not runny diaoreah and it’s still just once or twice a day and in her litter box. She doesn’t have a cat flap but she can go out when ever she wants but she  prefers to stay in with us.

So as it’s still regular poo but loose is that acceptable and healthy? This was going on for months but Izzy seems very happy and her normal self (although more vocal for her food so maybe she’s more excited for the wet food?)

Previous to this she had just had all her old age blood checks etc and all was fine. So as an experiment we introduced dry food again and sure enough her poo is beginning to look like soft sausages again.

Izzy clearly prefers the wet food but the only downside for us is that occasionally she steps on it as she walks out of the litter box and leaves her marks all over the floor.  Any thoughts please?
Melody

Post by Melody »

So I looked up Jackson Galaxy and no where do I see veterinary credentials. Your cat was doing just fine, per your vet, on dry food, and you listened to a YouTuber over a qualified, licensed medical professional on what to feed your cat?
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Dry food is only bad if they don't get enough water with it. You went with advice from a media influencer rather than a trained veterinarian. Your cat could have gotten dehydrated always having diarrhea. I would stick with what's working for you. My cats are on dry (as well as my dogs) but get wet as a treat once in awhile.

All 5 of my animals are very healthy. And next time you follow an influencers claims, you should consult vet first. There are some brands my vet said to never use because it's very bad for them and fancy feast was one. So, this claim that even the worst wet food is better than the best Dry food is incorrect. My vets have always prescribed a dry food when necessary, never wet. And they've seen multiple vets.

If food is a concern, make sure you speak to your normal vet about finding a veterinarian dietician. They will have the training but deal specifically with foods. And, don't listen to youtubers, facebookers etc. Advice is always good but your cat depends on you and their nutrition shouldn't be up to a random person who swears by their homemade food or could be getting kickbacks from suggesting brands. Most vets have preferred foods but they're more often than not good brands and you can say no to them.

They say the same for dogs. Feed them wet not dry. Cats More so but dogs too. But dry is perfectly fine. Your cat was doing well on dry. Why change it. Vet said they were healthy. I don't know what you could have improved if cat already had a clean bill of health.
Melody

Post by Melody »

It is not true AT ALL that "the worst wet is better than the best dry." Fancy Feast wet does not compare to Royal Canin dry. This is why we listen to veterinarians who know what they're talking about over youtubers with no credentials.
Anita

Post by Anita »

I also believe wet food is a much healthier option for cats. But I don't think that wet food causes loose stools. Our boy was on nothing but wet food in his later years and his stools were always like toostie rolls. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I don't think you should switch back to dry -- at least not totally dry. Maybe try half wet, half dry?
Anita

Post by Anita »

I also believe wet food is a much healthier option for cats. But I don't think that wet food causes loose stools. Our boy was on nothing but wet food in his later years and his stools were always like toostie rolls. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I don't think you should switch back to dry -- at least not totally dry. Maybe try half wet, half dry?
Lorie

Post by Lorie »

There is a Facebook group that is focused on feeding wet food to cats. I’ve never seen Jackson Galaxy mentioned, but they also say the e worst wet is better than the best dry. They’re pretty over the top about it and it really doesn’t make sense to me as long as your cat drinks enough water (I just add water to the dry food) - but if you’re really wanting to stick with the wet food they could probably speak to the poop question. The group is called Feed Feline Nutrition- Feed Cats Like Cats, if you want to look for it. (Sorry if this is not allowed.

I am definitely not promoting this group, but it does seem like it could be a useful resource for the-OP)
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

I have 6 cats they all eat the same food and same amount. 1 is aloud outside. My other 6 cats weight status. One cat under by 4 lbs, one slightly under weight 1.5 lbs, one way over weight by 4lbs, 2 cats weight is on the mark, one is slightly over weight. When talking to my vet about weight issues my curvy kitty the vet said it's genetic. My second slightly over weight kitty is genetic too. My way under weight cat do to age. My slightly under weight is hyper active. He is 7 years old he is my only kitty aloud outside he runs the front yards of my house and 3 other front yards and trees.
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

We do some wet and some dry. I have found the pates are better than the ones with gravy. You could try freeze dried raw. A few pieces of that a day is heaven for most cats!