What do you think about My main character being the villain?

A supportive board for writers at all levels to discuss writing topics, debate burning issues related to publishing, To publicise your novel. And to seek support of every kind in helping you to become a better writer.

What do you think about My main character being the villain?

Post by Guest »

Hello writers; What do you think about My main character being the villain?
Stanislaus

Re: What do you think about My main character being the villain?

Post by Stanislaus »

Why not? Kill him in the end... or at least let him be hit by a bus or something so you can use him again.
Jayson

Post by Jayson »

MC and protagonist can be two different people - but in anycase, you need to make a character compelling enough to make the reader interested in following them
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

By definition, the MC cannot be THE villain. (He can be A villain.) The villain of a story is the antagonist, the person / thing that opposes the MC. Story is all about the character arc of the MC. If the MC changes/improves/wins, it's a positive character arc. If the MC refuses to change /chooses to go downhill / loses, it's a tragedy.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Pretty sure Stan Lee said something similar when pitching the character of Deadpool, a foul mouthed mercenary with zero qualms about killing anybody, as a Good Guy!!
Alan

Post by Alan »

It happens often. A main character is really determined by the reader more often than not. Haven't you read books where you couldn't wait to get back to a character who was featured less but held your interest the best? THAT was your determined main character - for you.

The most interesting character usually winds up the main character, no matter your intention.
Christian

Post by Christian »

It has been done before, most notably in the masterpiece "Crime and Punishment". Don't let that put you off. I recommend the book, without reservation. There are other famous examples, and hopefully they can give you some inspiration.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Always wanted a Holmes tale told by Moriarity.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Lots of main characters are villains. The trick is to make any character that the reader spends a lot of time with interesting
Nichole

Post by Nichole »

I have no opinion because I don't know how the character is written, what their personality is, what their motivation is, etc.
Vinita

Post by Vinita »

I'd take it! But, tbh, it has to be "worth it"... I mean, if you take away my love for the main character (I'm less of a "let's make it real however hard" kind of reader than some others), I need to feel the book deep enough. Otherwise, I'd rather the good guy wins and all's well with the world.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:36 am.