A family member fed my dog a tamale with cooked raisins in it

A community of members sharing pet health advice. Get your pet-related health questions answered fast! Share, Give & Receive Advice.

Post by Guest »

They claim it was about 3 raisins in it. My dog is 10 lbs. I read about giving him hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting or is this a vet emergency?

Currently on the phone with animal poison control because our vet has a 5 hour wait.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

I wouldn’t make him vomit might be more dangerous I’d keep a eye on him and take to vet if he looks too bad.
Anita

Post by Anita »

I would speak with a ER vet or poison control and be prepared to induce vomitting if directed by the vet.
Kira

Post by Kira »

The toxic dose for grapes / raisins is unknown. Some dogs eat a lot and are fine, others eat 1 and pass away. The best thing to do in this situation would’ve been to go to the vet to induce vomiting. Your post is a few hours old now so that won’t be possible anymore, I hope you managed to resolve the issue.
Solina

Post by Solina »

I would wait to see if he gets sick even, some dogs don't even have reactions. My dog has gotten into things over his last 7 years on earth and has been fine.
Holly

Post by Holly »

Look for signs like the dog being lethargic, vomiting, diarrhea or any other unusual behavior for the dog. One of my females was fine Friday night at bedtime which is 11ish. The next morning at 5am she refused to get out of bed and this is very unusual for her but especially for a dog under 1 year. Took her to the vet and she was in kidney failure. She’s doing great now but unfortunately we have monthly vet visits and special food she had to eat. She’s back on her regular food but still requires kidney monitoring and will for the rest of her life.
Gabi

Post by Gabi »

You can’t do anything anymore it either gets kidney failure or it doesn’t but it will likely be fine. Most dogs don’t react to raisins or grapes but for a select few it is deadly so they say for all dogs to avoid grapes.