Roofing advice is desperately needed

A board for members to Discuss, Ask for Advice & Inspire - All things Construction & Design. Please all share the love of our homes with each other.

Post by Guest »

I am trying to turn my 80's house into a more Hamptons style. This is what the draftsman suggested for the roof but I'm not 100% convinced (Note: we have NOT even started on styling the roof, windows, colors or facade yet), this is a basic idea to decide on the roof line.

Are there any other options you can think of to make the roof more Hamptons?

Would love any ideas.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Instead of the three small gables roofs in the centre section I would only have one, but make it wider and higher and put a decorative gable vent in it.
Melinda

Post by Melinda »

I love the dark roof, I’d just go render the bricks a light colour to start.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Leave the roof dark, to match window frames & garage - could also update front door to a darker colour to to tie it all in. I don’t like the light roof it’s too much and imagine it would need cleaning every few years which isn’t cheap either.
Danielle

Post by Danielle »

I would go for something more like this.

Kate

Post by Kate »

An easy start could be to just render the bricks and change the front door, do the colour scheme how you’d like for a more hamptons - modern hamptons - vibe and you might be happy with that?

Would save a lot of money doing a purely cosmetic makeover?

Add hamptons wall lights etc but leave the structure as-is … it could really work!

I’ve made this collage of pics to show you the vibe I mean … modern hamptons …

Tamika

Post by Tamika »

I would only to the pitch over the extension and the garage. Leave the second storey roof flat.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

If you put a pitch over the front door you would loose the window on the second floor above. I think I would leave the second story roof straight as is without all the peaks - it would save money too.
Good luck with your decisions.
Debra

Post by Debra »

I think the roof has too many up and downs first glance looks a a huge “M” maybe one peak like the forward room, the windows don’t suit, I don’t think they are Hampton but your colour tones are lovely.
Ann

Post by Ann »

The roof is lovely but i think the door and windows are throwing it off a bit for me as they are not Hamptons style like the roof and the rest of the facade. I love your colours for the roof.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:04 pm.