I want to know can I use any mirror (even a mirror from Kmart) in the bathroom? Will this last?

A board for members to Discuss, Ask for Advice & Inspire - All things Construction & Design. Please all share the love of our homes with each other.

Post by Guest »

Hi everyone. I’m sprucing up a bathroom with new fittings/mirror. I want to know can I use any mirror (even a mirror from Kmart) in the bathroom? Will this last? Or does it need to be a proper bathroom mirror?
Grace

Post by Grace »

No, you need a specific one made for bathrooms as it has a moisture resistant backing. Even the bathroom mirrored cabinet we got at IKEA is already peeling off the back after a couple of years. The ones specifically made for bathrooms are also made to withstand the change in temperature from cold to hot then cold again. The cheap non-bathroom ones can shatter in the temperature changes.
Anna

Post by Anna »

We got ours custom made with an aged brass frame, but with a bathroom suitable glass and backing. It’s for our powder room.
Sue

Post by Sue »

I think all mirrors rust on the edges (if that what it is). We have a bathroom/laundry that is only used as a laundry and I can see the edges of the mirrored cabinets are going brown on some of the edges. Luckily, wd40 removes the rust spots.
Ree

Post by Ree »

You can use any mirror in a bathroom provided it has a solid backing. If it's wood you may like to seal it with a coat of clear polyurethane first to keep any moisture out.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:45 am.