Is it OK to eat spotted raspberries?

We provide health education and information to mums, dads and everyone involved in caring for children. Our goal is to improve child survival by promoting child health intelligence.

Post by Guest »

Has this happened to anyone else? my daughter and I were grocery shopping and she spotted raspberries and was so excited to try them. Well she ate the entire container in one sitting so I went and got more and now she’s disgusted by them and won’t touch them. What was that?

Was it a fluke or is she getting stubborn? Maybe she was so hungry she just let herself eat?

Idk.. But what the heck am I gonna do with all these berries!
Elisha

Post by Elisha »

All the time. Freeze them and use them for smoothies in the future!
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

It may have made her not feel so good after eating that many. Happened to my son with blackberries. Still hasn’t touched them a year later.
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

Yeh I think the texture has a lot to do with it, it changes over time. My son will love them for a while and then totally refuse.
Yanis

Post by Yanis »

Yesterday my daughter asked for pepperoni from my charcuterie board, ate almost all of it. I was over the moon to find a meat she likes, so I offered it again today. She is completely disgusted by it today -_-‘
Lexy

Post by Lexy »

I’m not a picky eater at all (my son is) but I have definitely binged on a certain food and then not wanted to see it again for a long time. It happens to everyone!
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Keep offering it! In my experience they do eventually go back to a food that they previously ate as long as they’re repeatedly offered and it’s not forgotten.
Nicola

Post by Nicola »

There a few reasons and it likely be all of them combined:
  1. Choosing something from the supermarket shelf meant she was 100% in control. It wasn't food in the table placed there it front of her to choose from (which in itself is the right way to offer food) but she picked it direct and no one else was involved. The second time it was given to her, which she may interpret as pressure. It is reason to involve kids in non-eating food tasks like shopping, putting the food away, growing, prepping meals etc. It gives context to where it comes from something kids don't have and what makes new foods intense or overwhelming for them.
  2. She may have detected even the subtlest of pleasure you displayed at her eating them and that creates pressure for kids (also can create kids who eat to please us (also not a good thing).
  3. She was hungry and her motivation to eat was greater than her desire to avoid food (kids with behaviour based feeding aversions will avoid eating and ignore their hunger pains until ravenous and then eat just enough to get rid of the worst feelings of hunger. If it's a behavioral based reason she isn't eating then this may also play a part).
Caro

Post by Caro »

freeze them , use them for smoothies or to bake with
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Sounds like something that has happened to every person who has a kid, haha. Make a nice raspberry sauce to drizzle over stuff!