With the cost of living crisis.. Where do you stand on Birthday parties for your kids this year?

This board has been created to share any money saving ideas, tips and hints. Please contribute your thoughts so everybody can economise on their budgets.. This is NOT a selling site.

Post by Guest »

Are more people having parties at home rather than at venues or are you stopping altogether.

What are the cut backs if you are going ahead?
Lakeisha

Post by Lakeisha »

I couldn’t really justify £120 for a soft play package for 2 hours so I bought my own balls and pop up tent things. I had a massive roll of drawing paper and art stuff already at home so I used all that. But that was for a one year olds party.
Vicki

Post by Vicki »

I can’t afford a party for my son so he has chosen a few friends to come play and have tea.
Linda

Post by Linda »

At the end of the day you do what is right for your family. No right or wrong thing for a child's party.

This year my daughter chose one friend and we went out for the day.

My youngest we've not always done parties but did family outings instead.

It's always been a mix of home parties or venue parties depending on finances and what my child wants.

I've also done a couple of parties at my local park and field, provided picnic food for all and met there.
Mars

Post by Mars »

For my 6yo I invited his class over to our house, put loads of toys in the living room and left them for 2 hours, occasionally one would come out for food. Did cake and party bags at the end. Worked perfect fine. It was early Jan so couldn’t do stuff in the garden. It was like a giant play date.
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

We just had my 7yr olds birthday. We went to a local craft cafe, she chose 4 friends. We did 10-12 so no food needed, we did treat them to hot drink and slice of cake from cafe, no party bags as the pottery they painted was their equivalent. In total it cost us just under £100 (we did buy 3 adults hot drink and cake too) the girls loved it, and she has asked for the same next year. So much easier and cheaper than last year's Hall, bouncy castle etc.
Laura

Post by Laura »

We’re still having parties - money is tight for everyone, and everyone’s situation is different but I will cut back on other bits so my kids have a party.
Sara

Post by Sara »

My youngest would rather go on holiday (which are ridiculous prices can I add!) So we're not doing a party and my eldest is happy with a couple kids round for a BBQ in the garden. Had planned mentally for them both to have parties this year (will be 5 and 10) but neither of them seem too fussed so that works for me.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

My daughter’s turning 14, she’s just asked for her godparents and their children to stay the night and have a chilled day doing karaoke, X box, board games and a film. She’s old enough to understand but to be fair she’s never been one to ask for expensive things.
Nicole

Post by Nicole »

I've just booked my sons 4th birthday party. Hes 4 in April. It's his first party, and it's a soft play one. Cost £250 for 2 hours, 15 friends, room hire for lunch and food included. Personally didn't sound too bad to me and i guess we are lucky we are financially ok at the moment. Maybe next year id do a scaled back party but hard to do one at home for us as we only live in a 2-bed flat.
Leanne

Post by Leanne »

Me and my friend are doing a joint bday party this year for our boys so that has cut the cost down for both of us we are only doing it because they both turn 10 after that ot will only be a few people around or bowling.
Lorecia

Post by Lorecia »

Defo not at home, done that before never again. We’re booking a hall and getting an entertainment package with bouncy castle. Then it’ll just be food, balloons etc and party bags. I reckon altogether it’ll be £350-400 maybe even not that much. But we’ll split that between me and my husband.