My husband and I want to head to Japan this summer

Welcome to our Travel Community, where travelers from all over the world come together to share experiences, ask for advice, and connect with others far and wide!

Post by Guest »

We have already been to Tokyo a few times (and Kyoto, Osaka and sourrounding areas).

This time we would like to explore Hokkaido.

We are big Foodies and like some nature, traditional locations and of course drinking, but open to new experiences. We like to push our boundaries.

Any suggestions, anything we shouldn’t miss?

How many days is enough in Sapporo?

Is Hakodate a must?

Should we do Biei and also Otaru?

Any thoughts on how to organize the itinerary?
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

I think 2-3 days in Sapporo itself is fine. It doesn’t have the number of attractions compared to Tokyo and Kyoto but I find the people much nicer there (disclaimer - one half of my family lives in Sapporo). My friends went in 2019 and complained when they were there for three full days. 😂

If you like seafood, Hakodate is a worthwhile trip to take. You’ll also see Russian influence on the architecture in that city.

If you like whisky, go to the Nikka Whisky distillery in Yoichi.

If you like baseball, catch a Nippon Ham fighters game at the new stadium near Sapporo this year.

Daisetsuzan National Park and the lavender fields in Furano might be places worth exploring in the summer. Onsens are probably a bit much for the summer but Noboribetsu is known for them.

I’m in the Japan Travel Planning group and you are correct - a lot of posts are centered around the golden route of Tokyo to Kyoto. But, there are many other non golden route posts that could help with your planning.
Mary

Post by Mary »

Restaurant Sower in Shiga Perfecture on Lake Biwa!