Which approach works better?

A supportive board for writers at all levels to discuss writing topics, debate burning issues related to publishing, To publicise your novel. And to seek support of every kind in helping you to become a better writer.

Post by Guest »

For those who have written Novel(s) - Do you plan each chapter meticulously and then initiate the novel or Do you start writing your novel and then shape the characters and chapters? Which approach works better?
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

My charachters tend to just shape up as I write. I spend some time getting the esssence of them as a feeling. Then that dictates the way I write about them. I definately don't plan each chapter meticulously. I'd still be on my first 500 words of anything if I did. That story that is aching to be told needs to come out. Loads of it just turns out to be for me to understand the characters and story and I have to axe it. The first draft for me is usually an utter mess. But the bones are there.
K. Iwancio

Post by K. Iwancio »

I'm a pantser for sure when I start. But then my mind starts running with the idea. Once I hit my stride I'll start plotting chapters with a rough summary.
Andy

Post by Andy »

I pants the entire time, writing what comes to me and letting it guide the flow of the text. I can't work with an outline because it just kills my creativity.
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

I just write and then when a scene ends I start a new chapter. I didn’t have them planned out at first but after several chapters i had a break for a while because I didn’t know what was going to happen next! It took me months to go back to it and then re-reading and editing it all clicked in my head and I planned out the next several chapters as notes so now I know exactly what I am going to write! So my advice is to just get your story down because I feel I wasted a lot of time.
Lynne

Post by Lynne »

Whichever works best for you. Try them both and discover the one that works for you.