Did previously traditionally publishing help you with growing a firm fan base, mailing list, social media presence?

A supportive board for writers at all levels to discuss writing topics, debate burning issues related to publishing, To publicise your novel. And to seek support of every kind in helping you to become a better writer.

Post by Guest »

Hi, I have a question. For those who have both self published and traditionally published. Did previously traditionally publishing help you with growing a firm fan base, mailing list, social media presence? Like did the publisher you went with assist with those things?

Or did you find they were just as difficult the traditional route? What did you find more joy with, traditional or self publishing. If the money requiring a cover, editing, book designing weren’t an issue, which route would you choose If you’ve done both?
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Self-publishing, I own my email list - built from buyers on my website and people who opt-in on my website and author events. I do my own marketing and I get ALL the benefits, rewards and paperwork from it.

Trad publishing, unless I have set up an opt-in on my website, I won't have an email list. The publisher does the marketing. This suits me for these books as they are not in my name, but (having tasted the freedom of self-pub) would irritate me no end if I was using the same name.
Laura

Post by Laura »

I started a fan base before I self-published. I’m working to grow that fan base now.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

I began creating a fan base even before I queried publishers. After I acquired a publisher, he did his fair share of the marketing. Since then, I’ve worked with 2 more publishers, and both also contribute to the marketing. My 2nd publisher is from the UK, so his marketing is limited to online. My new one is from the US and so am I, so the marketing is both online and in person.