I'm thinking of renting a car in France. Do I need an International driver's license?

Welcome to our Travel Community, where travelers from all over the world come together to share experiences, ask for advice, and connect with others far and wide!

Post by Guest »

I have something on my mind... I'm thinking of renting a car in France. Do I need an International driver's license?
Stephanie

Post by Stephanie »

I rented a car a few years ago with my regular drivers license and passport
Tung

Post by Tung »

I rented a car in Europe, nobody checked for it. Wasted whatever amount of money i paid to AAA for the International Driver Permit and the hassle too
Dena

Post by Dena »

The AAA international license is only a document that explaines to non-English speakers what the different portions of your license means. It could be helpful, but is not necessary.
Jill

Post by Jill »

It’s $25 at AAA Get one just in case because of you get pulled over they can fine you for not having it.
Olga

Post by Olga »

No, you do not need an IDP to rent a car in France.
Vinod

Post by Vinod »

I rented in France with an American license a few years ago.
Dan

Post by Dan »

If you have a US license that is at least one year old, and you will definitely not be driving outside of France itself, an International Driving Permit is not necessary.
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Every time someone asks this people answer yes and no.

Technically, yes you should have it.

Realistically, I like many other have rented cars all over Europe as have my parents for decades without issue 🤷🏻‍♀️ (Including France)

So I think it just depends on how much do you care haha
Howard

Post by Howard »

No, but you better buy the damage insurance waiver. I took a chance. A semi did a hit and run on us. Hertz France socked it to us for $ 2,000. At least we weren’t hurt. Your US auto insurance doesn’t usually cover other countries except maybe Canada
Flore

Post by Flore »

Be mindful that the driving rules over there might differ from where you are. For example if you’re from 🇺🇸, know there is no turning right in red lights. Also when you go left at an intersection and the car in front of you is going to their left, you 2 have to pass and cross each other (as opposed as the 🇺🇸 is side to side). Just a couple of things to be mindful of.
Louisa

Post by Louisa »

It is cheap and worth having. About $20 if you are a member of AAA. I am over the age limit to rent a car in FR (no issues with manual shift cars though I drive one in Houston) but get one anyway in case some need presents itself and carry it instead of your passport when out and about.
Scott

Post by Scott »

No, you do not, just watch out for pedestrians crossing the road
Steve

Post by Steve »

Rented with US driver's license. International can be obtained at AAA