What about motorcycle riding and licensing in South East Asia?

Welcome to our Travel Community, where travelers from all over the world come together to share experiences, ask for advice, and connect with others far and wide!

Post by Guest »

Hi all, Just a query about motorcycle riding and licensing in South East Asia, (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam) I know the general legal answer to the question, however I’m looking for personal experience/advice.

I would only be able to do my CBT (125cc and under) before I leave, therefore I’m wondering if it’s even worth doing (would prefer bigger bikes for longer journeys) and what is the likelihood of me getting stopped and recieving big fines/penalties/jail etc as you would in the UK.

Has anyone rode a lot without a license?

Thanks in advance
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

A lot of bikes are 125cc. A lot of people ride unlicensed too (in my experience, more are unlicensed than licensed). If you are licensed, you have a better chance of your insurance applying in the event of an accident, and are less likely to have to pay a fine. You also may have less anxiety about driving. I’d vote for getting the license if it’s not too much of an effort
Sophie

Post by Sophie »

We have been travelling SEA for 5 months now and have only been stopped once in Thailand and paid £10 to get out of it. We spent £5 on international driving permit before leaving and we do not have a CBT. In our case we’ve been fine