What's the type or name of the converters I would need for traveling from U.S. to Greece?

Welcome to our Travel Community, where travelers from all over the world come together to share experiences, ask for advice, and connect with others far and wide!

Post by Guest »

Can anyone tell me the type or name of the converters I would need for traveling from U.S. to Greece?

I see some, but says they don't work for hair dryers, curling iron, and flat irons.

Please be specific, as I know nothing about volts and watts and all that.

Thank you.

Post by Susan »

My dual voltage hair dryer works fine BUT there's a button I have to "turn" to change the voltage. I don't know if other folks have products that just don't work or don't know how to switch the voltage. If you have a dual voltage appliance it should have some sort of dial/button/switch to tell it which voltage to use. (It won't be automatic like something lower voltage such as your phone or tablet.) Mine isn't especially obvious, it's just a round little button that I almost have to "screw" over to the other side (I use the file in my nail kit to do it.) I have a Conair one that was only around $20 - you might look for that one, then you won't lose much if it doesn't actually work and you have to buy one there.

If you have one of those, then all you need is a plug adapter.

The voltage converters don't work well for high voltage appliances such as hair dryers, straighteners and irons so while I still travel with one, I haven't used it in a long time.

Post by Liza »

Forget about using flat iron or curling iron. They don't really work there. If you must use them, buy one there so it has the right plug and voltage.

Post by Tracey »

I usually take a universal plug adaptor. Or does euro adapters. I also bought a travel combo curling and flat iron that is dual voltage. Hair dryers are difficult..travel hair dryers are usually small but those I have found in US are NOT dual voltage so you would need a voltage converter. Converters I find to be bulky and I stopped using them 20 years ago. I take my dual voltage curling iron and either don’t dry my hair or rely on hotels having a hair dryer.

Post by Amanda »

I am American and live in Europe. You need dual voltage appliances or they will overheat with a regular adaptor. Converters are large a bulky, not convenient to travel with.

Post by Heidi »

Adapters are the actual plugs and tend to be fairly cheap online or at Target. All they do is allow American plugs to fit in outlets in other countries. Converters change the amount of current flowing into the device. These start at around $50 for a reliable one. The US uses 110 current. Greece uses 230. Most devices (phone, camera etc) don’t need a converter, just the plug adapter. Check the chargers you use at home and if they say 100-240V, you are good. Hair dryers, curling irons etc are more power hungry. Some have a little switch on them so you don’t in theory need a converter. In my experience, neither the switch northern converters work the way I like to use my appliances. Even with them, I can only use the lowest setting and even then they get seriously overheated. If you have a hairstyle that requires a lot of attention, find a shop upon arrival and buy these items there.

Post by Sarah »

Do NOT take US hair appliances. Even with the converters they often blow. Most hotels and many Airbnb have hair dryers. If you really need a hair straightener or curling iron buy ones that are universal voltage. Best decision I ever made.
Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post